Saturday, October 12, 2013

Catching up!!

All right, I know it has been some time since my last post, and I am here now to alleviate any curiosity you may have been having about what I have been up to! :)

Since my trip to Oktoberfest, I have had the entire week free of responsibilities!!  And I have been enjoying it a lot.  Most of the time I have gotten some extra sleep, gone to the gym, and purchased a few important things like notebooks and the works.

Some of my other purchases have been a bit more substantial, because they will be bringing with them a great deal of life long memories (at least that is the plan)!  These include: a reserved place on a day trip to Strasbourg, France, next weekend; a reserved place on a bus to Amsterdam for the weekend; a train ticket to and from Cologne, Germany for a orientation reception for my DAAD Stipend; a ticket to see the operas "Don Giovanni" (in May; the tickets were practically sold out!!) and "The Magic Flute"; another purchase was for a performance of Beethoven's "9th Symphony".

As many of those who know me well know, I will be thoroughly enjoying those last three events because of my constant listening to classical music and finding enjoyment from watching operas!!  I am just glad because I will actually get to see them in REAL LIFE!!!

Some other things I have done this week include attending an information session, giving me a lot of helpful information regarding lectures, exams, and the university in general; taking part in a campus tour through one of the four campuses at my university, Campus Westend; and most recently, attending a party hosted by/for medical students at the Goethe-Universität.  The cool thing about this party is that it was right on the same block as the Klinikum (university clinic), where all of the medical students will be either attending courses or working on a Praktikum (internship).  This party was thrown in this rundown building, and it was absolutely a ton of fun!!  Our attendance fee/entrance charge was mainly recommended for entrance, but it was to support the medical students, as sort of a fundraiser.  The music was great, the building was packed full of people, but we all still had a wonderful time, and we danced so long, that we were able to catch the first Straßenbahn (tram) home at 4:00am!!

Starting Monday, however, I will begin attending lectures; I will only have one or two a day, but after we get into lectures more, I will be attending what are called Übungen (practices), where you get to work on the things learned in lectures with smaller groups of people.  Since the course selection system is different here than in the States, I am a bit worried about doing something in correctly, but I have been ensured many a time that it is way easier than I think!  We will see how that goes.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment