Thursday, December 12, 2013

"The Magic Flute": my first ever opera

I completely forgot to add a post regarding my first ever opera experience!!  WOW how stupid of me.  I am completely addicted to classical/operatic music, and I did not even think to write about attending one.

So, during the third week of November (yes this post should precede my most recent post, if you're reading this chronologically, which you should) I went with a small group of friends to Frankfurt's new opera house to enjoy the well-known German opera "Die Zauberflöte/The Magic Flute", composed way back when by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Considering the fact that I have only watched this piece of theater/music performance in a filmed version or have only listened to excerpts on my computer, I was absolutely blown away.  Having the performance acted out in front of you for three and a half hours brings about an ENTIRELY new feature to the music.  Also it was nice to see it acted out by different people, on a different stage, with different props, and with different themes.

I don't want to give too much of a review, but everything was great.  Even the Queen of the Night's famous aria (which you could watch here if you don't have any clue what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ODfuMMyss), which has been claimed to be one of the most difficult pieces of music to sing, was so much more exhilarating to hear in person.  I had goosebumps throughout almost the entire opera.

But that's enough about that.  I would suggest to ANYONE to go see this opera if they have the chance.  It's really quite interesting, and it is considered a comedy, so you don't have to worry about being bored to sleep, as operas stereotypically do to some people.

My up-coming musical attendances will be coming up in the next couple of months, and then toward the end of Spring.  I will be attending, accordingly, "Das Phantom der Oper/The Phantom of the Opera," which I do not yet know if it will be in English or German; and then I will be attending "Don Giovanni" in May, which is another one of Mozart's operas.

Until next time, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment